5th grade Math
Monday will be Accelearted Math and a new homework packet will be passed out; this will be due back on Friday December 7th.
This week, we will look at adding/subtracting mixed numbers. This is the final section of the chapter and unit on fractions J. The test is scheduled Tuesday, December 4th.
6th grade Math
Monday will be Accelearted Math and a new homework packet will be passed out; this will be due back on Friday December 14th.
This week, we will look at comparing and ordering decimals and if time allows begin rounding decimal numbers to the given place value.
5th and 6th graders will be making Christmas cards to send to the troops stationed in the Middle East this week, I have add more details to my blog. Please feel free to email me with any questions.
- Monday we will start going over the Unit 2 review in class, Unit 2 review was posted on Google Classroom. Students should complete the review on a piece of paper.
- Tuesday we will have a review game, Unit 2 test is Wednesday. The test will cover the vocabulary terms from Unit 2 and the concepts from lessons 4-7, exploration in the New World. Due to the snow day, the test will be on Thursday. Students should have their reviews started, if not completed by Tuesday.
- We will be finishing our video on Egypt's Lost Queen, Hatshepsut. Students learned about her role as a pharaoh in Egypt and the expeditions that she led to Punt. This video gives us more background into who she was and why people tried to erase her from history. Students will complete a short answer response from the video.
- This week we will explore how Egyptian society was set up, what daily life was like and how this civilization continued to grow.
- I have been working on the Egyptian projects, packet grades will be entered first, 95 points possible. The essays will be entered next a possibility of 25 points for the essay.
ELA Grade Five
Week of November 26th
Thank you for a wonderful parent/teacher conference. It was so nice to spend time talking about our favorite subject!
This week in Reading and Writing:
Our interpretation of theme novel is complete!
From our book discussions, the students enjoyed their choice novel.
This week, we will work on our group project for their evaluation. Each group will work together and individually to create a project for their novel.
There are certain requirements that are expected with some free choice involved also.
When the students complete the project, they will present their work to the class.
They may bring prompts/costumes to help tell their story through their book talk.
They will also be able to bring in a treat that represents their novel. (Because of Winn Dixie readers may think about bringing in “dump punch” or lozenges.)
We will also be doing the next chapter in our vocabulary unit.
Remember that the students do not have school next Friday, Dec 7!
6th Grade Language Arts
Thank you to all the parents who attended parent-teacher conferences. It’s wonderful to connect with parents to set goals for students and talk about their progress. Knowing the parent-school connection is strong helps students succeed!
The time between Thanksgiving and Christmas always seems to move quickly at school. We have much to accomplish in ELA.
This week we get one step closer to finishing our novel, Hatchet. This is a pivotal time for the main character, Brian. Many issues that face students today carry over from our novel. Good discussions and thought-provoking arguments are happening daily as a result of our reading.
I am also impressed with the students’ work ethic to improve their writing skills. Editing can be a tedious process, but students are becoming conscious of their errors and working hard to correct them.
Reading vocabulary term of the week: TONE
5th- This week we will finish up Chemical and Physical changes in Matter. We will start talking about Mixtures and Solutions. On Friday, we will meet up with our STEM partners in 1st grade. We will have a test on Elements, physical and chemical changes, mixtures and solutions on Thursday, December 6th. We will then start on a Free Conserving Energy Program through ComEd and Peoples Gas.
6th- Our test on the Lunar Cycle is on Wednesday, Nov 28th. We will start on Season and Tides after the test. We should have a final test on that before the Christmas Break.