*I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!*
READING: In Reading this week, we will be working on some Halloween-themed Reading Story & Creative Writing activities, as well as some Halloween-themed Book of Knowledge activities. This week, we will also be finishing up presenting our Mystery Book Reports, reviewing our previous skills, as well as working on a SLAM question that relates to our story from last week. *Students will not have a Reading test this upcoming Friday, November 1st.* *Also, students will have their Reading Tests on Fridays, unless otherwise stated.
*A variety of different BOOK REPORTS will be assigned throughout the school year in Reading. Students were assigned their second book report. For this second “October Book Report,” students should have chosen a *mystery* book of their choice. *The October Book Report was due by Thursday, October 17th.* Students are encouraged to turn in their book reports early, before the scheduled due date, if they are ready to be turned in.
*Also, students will be required to read and take quizzes on 8 books per trimester for ACCELERATED READING. At least 1 of the 8 total books for the trimester needs to be a nonfiction book. There will also be due dates within the trimester for how many books should be read and AR quizzes taken.
4th Grade – Accelerated Reader – Due Dates for the 1st Trimester:
*2 books and AR quizzes were due by Wednesday, September 18th.*
*2 more books and AR quizzes (for a total of 4 all together) were due by Wednesday, October 2nd.*
*2 more books and AR quizzes (for a total of 6 all together) were due by this past Monday of last week, October 21st.*
**2 more books and AR quizzes (for a total of 8 all together including at least 1 Nonfiction book) will be due by Monday, November 11th.**
SOCIAL STUDIES: In Social Studies last week, we began our study of the first lesson in the first unit of our hardcover textbook. This week, we will continue and finish up our focus on Lesson 1 of Unit 1. This first lesson focuses on the First Americans, and this will also begin our study of Native Americans. We will continue to focus on and learn all about the characteristics of several different Native American groups. We will also be discussing and working with timelines this week as well. This week, we will be reviewing the information from this lesson (Lesson 1) to prepare for our test on Wednesday of this week. *Students will have a test this week on Wednesday, October 30th that will focus on Lesson 1 of the first unit in our textbook.* Students should be able to answer questions about the Vocabulary, as well as the different Native American groups that we have learning about in this lesson. Students should study their vocabulary words and definitions in their notebook, their Section A-D questions and answers in their notebook, as well as their Study Guide Review Sheet in preparation for the test on Wednesday of this week.
SPELLING: In Spelling this week, we will begin with our Unit 10 spelling words. We will have our tenth spelling test this Friday, November 1st on Unit 10.
*Reminders & Important Due Dates*
- Decorated Pumpkins are due back by Tuesday morning, October 29th, before school.
- On Wednesday of this week, October 30th, we will have a Social Studies Test that will focus on Lesson 1 of Unit 1 in our textbook.
- Also, on Wednesday, October 30th, students will have an early dismissal from school at 1:45 PM.
- On Thursday, October 31st, students may dress up in their costumes and can also bring in treats or candy to pass out to their classmates for Halloween! We have 20 students in our homeroom class.
- Just a reminder that we will not have a Reading Test this upcoming Friday, November 1st.
- On Friday, November 1st, we will have an All Saints Day Mass at 1 PM. All are welcome to join us!
- On Monday, November 11th, 2 more ARs (for a total of 8 ARs) are due.
- Friday Folders will go home this week. Please look over the contents of the folder and discuss your child's progress with him/her. You may keep the tests/quizzes that are in the folder. Also, the Friday Folder should be signed and returned on Monday of next week. Thank you!
*Happy Halloween to everyone!!*
*Hope you have a great week and enjoy the upcoming weekend!*