Recap and Reminders
We had a wonderful 1st grade week. The Apple Investigation activity was definitely a favorite, it seems we may have some future scientists on our hands!
- Back to School night is Monday, 9/13. We are looking forward to welcoming parents back into the building!
- This weekend is homecoming here at SJF. To rev up our school spirit, we will have themed out of uniform days on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Themes are as follows:
- Wake up Wednesday- come to school in your pajamas!
- Themed Thursday- each class will get to decide their own theme (I will let you know soon!)
- Falcon Friday- Falcon gear or your SJF team jersey
- As mentioned in the Notes From Mrs. Nash, we will begin the iReady diagnostic this week. Room 217 will begin on Friday, 9/17, with the iReady reading diagnostic.
Welcoming a New Week
Fundations: Grades K-2 will be using a new program called “Fundations” to teach the phonics skills necessary for students to become confident readers!
Unit 1, week 3- We will spend the next few weeks practicing the routines needed for the program as well as reviewing consonants, vowels, and letter sounds.
Trick Words (formerly called sight words) & Spelling Words: In future units, we will include a list of trick words and spelling words for the week. We will assess students’ trick and spelling words each Friday.
No trick words for unit 1
No spelling words for unit 1
Reading: The theme for Module 1 is “Nice To Meet You!”
- Stories- Suki's Kimono, Big Dilly's Tale, and I'm Me!
- Genre- Realistic Fiction, Fairy Tale, Song
- Skills- identifying and finding information about characters
Writing/Grammar: Creative writing about apples/ identifying and sorting action verbs.
Math: Chapter 1- Addition Concepts- addition to 10. We will finish our work on chapter 1 this week and we will complete our chapter 1 math test together on Friday, 9/17.
Science: Apple Theme- We will make predictions, test our ideas, and record our findings as we discover what will happen to apples left out in the open vs. in various liquids.
Social Studies: Scholastic News: "Keep Trying" edition
Religion: We will attend Mass each Wednesday.
Chapter 2- starting a new chapter this week!
- Monday: SEL
- Tuesday: Library
- Wednesday: Gym
- Thursday: Art
- Friday: Computers