Friday Thoughts - Happy New Year
Posted on Jan 11, 2019
Happy New Year! I hope you had a wonderful holiday season filled with much love, laughter and relaxation with your family and friends. We have been quite busy getting back into the swing of things this week. The students returned to school and were greeted by a new mural created by some of our talented 8th graders over the break. The mural reads: "Some kids are smarter than you, have cooler clothes than you, or are better at sports than you. It doesn't matter. You have your own thing too! Be the kid who is generous, can get along, is happy for others and does the right thing. Be the Nice Kid!" In 2019, our school is resolving to, "Be the Nice Kid!"
I was visiting classrooms today to discuss another report I have received about SJF kids playing on the railroad tracks near Maplewood before school today. As you can imagine and I know you will agree, this is so concerning and dangerous. I have impressed upon the students to make good choices and to stay off of the tracks. Our students are so important and we all care deeply about them and their safety and well-being. When speaking with them, I asked them to be leaders and if they see anyone congregating on the tracks to encourage them to get away from that area, make better choices and enlist the help of an adult if need be. We all need to look out for one another. Please help me ensure our students (and all children) stay off of the railroad tracks. Thank you for your attention to and assistance with this.
This morning we were also greeted with a broken pipe outside of the pre-k doors underneath the bridge. We are tending to this situation and I will keep you posted on the details.
- Queen of Hearts- Pot is over $73K! This week's drawing will be at the Athletic Board’s Howl at the Moon event on Saturday. Pleaseclick here to buy your tickets for Howl at the Moon Dueling Pianos Show tomorrow night (Saturday, January 12th). Doors open at 6pm. The show will go from 7pm-10pm. Tickets are $40 per person. Bring your own drinks. Queen of Hearts tickets will be sold at the door. There will be seating available when you need a break from dancing. Please bring cash to secure your song requests! If you have questions, please email Missi Brady at email@example.com.
- Band will resume on Monday.
- Tuesday, January 15th, the School Advisory Board will meet in the school library at 7 p.m.
- Progress Report Check is next Wednesday, January 16th. Please take some time to review your child’s grades and commend a good job or encourage improved performance.
- The SJF Children’s Choir will resume next Thursday, January 17th, from 3:45-4:45.
- The February lunch menu is available to order.
- Buy manna, exchange uniforms, and buy Queen of Hearts tickets tomorrow morning from 8:30-9:30 a.m. in the convent. Manna will also be sold in the church foyer after the 4 p.m. mass Saturday and the 10 a.m. mass Sunday.
- Mass Challenge Update: Congratulations to Mary Clare O'Connor and Maggie Berry for winning the December Mass Challenge; both girls won a $50 gift card. Our next challenge begins this week and will go until Valentine's Day. The grade level with the most tickets (collect yours at the back of church) will be entered to win a Valentine's Day treat!
- Mary Poppins - St. Barnabas School is performing Mary Poppins next weekend. Click here for more information.
- New student registration begins soon. Please share our Preschool and Kindergarten Open House dates with families who do not yet have students here: Thursday, January 17th from 6 – 7:30 p.m. and Sunday,
January 27th at 9 a.m. before our Catholic Schools Week Mass and Open House.
Here's to a happy and healthy 2019! Have a great weekend!
Mrs. Maura Nash
St. John Fisher School, a "Catholic community like no other"