It will be August soon, so it’s time to start thinking about returning to school! This email contains important information about summer math practice/packets, supplies and uniforms.
Math Packets for Students Entering 2nd-8th Grade
Now is a good time to do a bit of review so that skills are sharp for the next school year. Summer Math Packets are available on the school website under the Academic tab.
Please print the appropriate math packet for your child, and staple the pages in order. Students should write their first and last names on page 1, and show all work as they complete the packet. Calculators should not be used. Packets are to be submitted to the child’s homeroom teacher on the first day of school. The grade on this packet will be your child’s first math grade of the school year, so please encourage your child to do his/her best work!
Math Facts/Flashcards – Add, Subtract, Multiply, Divide
In addition to the summer math packets, we are asking students entering 2nd to 5th grade to practice math facts. This may sound very old school, but research proves that fluency (speed and accuracy) in all operations will lead to greater success and less anxiety in higher level math students. Our expectations for students entering 2 – 5 are as follows:
- Entering Second Grade: Students should be proficient in solving 20 addition and subtraction facts to 10 in two minutes. (Students should also practice their addition and subtraction facts to 20 after becoming fluent through 10).
- Entering Third Grade: Students should be proficient in solving 30 addition facts (to 20) in one minute, and 30 subtraction facts (to 20) in one minute.
- Entering Fourth Grade: Students should be proficient in solving 30 single digit multiplication facts in one minute and 30 single digit division facts in one minute. (Students should also practice their 11s and 12s after becoming fluent in the single digit facts).
- Entering Fifth Grade: Students should be proficient in solving 30 mixed multiplication & division facts (to 12 x 12) in 1 minute.
All operations should be mastered with fluency (speed and automatic recall) by all students entering fifth grade.
The School Supply list can be found under the backpack section of our school website. Using manna certificates to purchase school supplies will help you and St. John Fisher. Visit our school website for more details.
All K-8 students should have school uniforms and gym uniforms. During the warm weather months, (Aug/Sept and May/June) students may wear khaki or navy walking shorts or capris as part of the school uniform. Nylon shorts are not permitted. Shorts cannot be more than two (2) inches above the knee.
All uniforms, including gym uniforms, can be purchased at Schools R Us on 111th and Kedzie.
(Note: Preschoolers do not wear uniforms, please look for a separate email with information for preschool parents).
- Grades K – 2, Plaid jumper and white blouse/polo
- Grade 3, Plaid jumper or skirt and white blouse/polo
- Grades 4 – 8, Plaid skirt and white blouse/polo
- Grades K – 8, Sweater (solid white, navy or hunter green) or St. John Fisher fleece vest.
- SJF gym sweatshirt (school issued only)
- Socks or tights (white, navy or hunter green)
- Pants (navy blue pants may be worn Oct. 1 to May 1)
- Grade K – 8, Navy dress pants. White or light blue polo shirt
- SJF gym sweatshirt or school fleece vest (school issued only)
- Loafers, buckle or tie oxfords, or clean gym shoes are allowed as part of the school uniform.
Sandals, moccasins, clogs, “Crocs”, “flip-flops,” and boots are not permitted during the school day.
We will be in touch in the coming weeks with other important information. Enjoy these beautiful days!